Lavender body cream is just one of many homemade lotion recipes that are easy from the comfort of your kitchen
Homemade natural lotion and oils are great for the winter. Cold weather, indoor heat, hot showers all dry out skin and it’s great to have lotions or oils on hand to soothe skin. The problem is that natural chemical free and gluten-free lotions are very expensive to buy. Also, a lot of the so-called natural body products still have some undesirable ingredients in them. Sometimes I am amazed at the lengthy list of ingredients and the number of ingredients that look like chemical names in products that say natural on the label. I have never found a all natural hand lotion in the store that meets all my standards and also is a reasonable cost. This is why I decided to start making my own lotion.
This is how to make body lotion:
Lavender homemade lotion recipes
- 3/4 pure oil – olive oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil, etc.
- 3/4 cup distilled water
- 2 tbsp shaved bees-wax
- 30 drops lavender essential oil
- tea tree oil or grapefruit seed extract
- glass mason jars to store lotion
Tools needed for making lotion
- glass pyrex measuring cup
- rubber spatula
- Sterilize all tools by using the dishwasher or boiling water.
- Pour the distilled water into the blender and set aside.
- Pour the oil or combination of oils into the glass measuring cup
- Shave off the bee’s wax with a knife or vegetable peeler (it usually comes in a block), measure and put into the measuring cup with the oil.
- Heat water in a pot and create a double boiler with the glass measuring cup to melt the bee’s wax into the oil.
- When the bee’s wax is melted remove the measuring cup from the double boiler and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Turn on the blender with the water already in it and slowly pour the oil into the blender creating an emulsion
- Once the oil and water are fully combined, add your essential oils for scent.
- Add some tea tree oil or grapefruit seed extract to act as a preservative
- Blend until combined.
- Transfer into mason jars to store.
Homemade natural lotion review
This homemade natural lotion recipe has worked well for me and it makes 2-3 small jars of lotion. The lotion is very soothing and seems like a luxurious expensive creme which is why I love it. The lavender scent is also very calming. You can make changes to the recipe to get the lotion you like the best – change the different oils that you use or you can use herbal infused oil which adds a nice touch. One of my favorite infused oils is Calendula infused oil – I use this to make diaper rash creme for my daughter which has worked great.
Do you know how to make body lotion? Do you have any tips or tricks to share? What are you favorite oils or herbs to use in lotions? If so, tell us all about it…….
If you would like to buy the essential oil ingredients for homemade lotion recipes – click here or PM me and I will get back to you asap…..