When the summer officially arrives, that means outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, BBQs, and more, so remember your essential oil mosquito repellent
In this article I have compiled a big list of recommendations and home remedies for repellent suggestions as well as an opportunity to purchase best essential oil mosquito repellent available online.
A few things to note first:
- You pretty much have to stop breathing to not attract the attention of these annoying critters, a big attraction for them is the carbon dioxide from your breathing.
- It also seems they are attracted by scents like perfumes, sweat, body odor as well as body heat. Unless you stop using shampoos, soaps, deodorants and detergents, it’s hard to be scent free.
- From what I understand, DEET has proven to be the most effective mosquito repellent. DEET is pretty crazy stuff though, so if you’d like to try less harsh solutions, there are plenty of tips below for you to give a shot.
Something to keep in mind:
- Since some people seem to be a mosquito magnet while others around them don’t get a single bite, I have the suspicion that there could be a personal body chemistry factor involved. And that could explain why a remedy that works for one person, may not work for another.
- I suspect that’s why some people swear by the Bounce sheet method, or the Avon Skin So Soft solution, while others have a different experience.
- Bounce nor the Avon SSS did a thing for me btw, but I did include them in the list below. I know a few people who SWEAR by them.
- The only one at the moment that has worked is a mosquito bite treatment and repellent which I used in Lapland during the summer. You just mix with water and use with a spray bottle, I sprayed it on everything such as the front door of my cabin, on the dogs, and of course on myself. It is made from natural essential oils so no bad chemicals, so you can spray as much as you like….
The Basics on how to prevent mosquito bites:
- Wear light-colored clothing, mosquitoes are attracted to dark clothes
- Keep your body covered as much as possible (including wearing a hat), although they can find their way through the fabric‚ it does cut down on bites
- Also I suggest spraying your clothes with essential oil mosquito repellent, this will help to keep the mosquito’s at bay.
Home Remedies & Tips
A few different recommendations for this one, each contradicting the other. Some say to dab Vanilla Extract on your pulse points, others say to rub it all over your skin & dab your clothes. Some say the cheap stuff is what you have to use, others say the real, pure Vanilla is the only thing that will work. Some say to apply it full strength, others say you can dilute it with water and spray it on. Play around with Vanilla to see what gives you best results‚¬”there are plenty of believers for this one as a mosquito deterrent so I think there’s something to it.
This isn’t a favorite thing to do day-to-day, but if you’re going camping or hiking through heavily infested areas, try a garlic powder and water paste. Apply to pulse points, behind knees, on shoes and ankles and a dab or two on your cheeks or somewhere on your face and neck. Remember; keep out of eyes. And maybe stay out of public places too .
Is there other essential oil mosquito repellent I can use?
Mix choice of essential oil mosquito repellent with rubbing alcohol, or witch hazel, or distilled water and spritz on body or directly on cloth to rub on body (shake before each use). Or add a few drops in baby oil or olive oil then rub on skin. You can also apply drops along a strip of fabric (cotton) and tie around wrist.
*Make sure to avoid mouth and eyes when using essential oils.
- Citronella oil
- Lavender oil
- Catnip oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Basil oil
- Thyme oil
- Cedar oil
- Tea Tree oil
- Peppermint oil
- Lemongrass oil
See this list of recipes for homemade mosquito repellents using a mix of essential oils.
Essential oil mosquito repellent that repel them
Break off leaves and crush them roughly, rub them all over your clothes and skin. Toss the bruised leaves around the perimeter of your deck or patio. Also plant these in pots and arrange them around the patio. You could also infuse these in water and then use that as a spray. (of course this can be done with essential oil mosquito repellent as well)
- Household Hack
Spray essential oil mosquito repellent and water all over the yard and bushes
They way I see it regarding mosquito bite treatment and prevention is that strong chemicals can have some bad side effects and if its possible to avoid them try using some simple solution such as the right clothing and essential oils so you and your family are safe from harmful chemicals and the mosquito’s.
Disclosure: We are a professional review site that receives compensation from the companies whose products we review. We test each product thoroughly and give high marks to only the very best. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own.