What is frankincense and uses for frankincense oil in the modern world
Frankincense is derived from sap the Boswellia sacra tree of the Burseraceae family. The Boswellia is a Small to Medium sized tree reaching a height of around 7 to 8 meters.
Frankincense is an extremely popular oil used by Aromatherapists around the world.
This was prized oil as far back as Ancient Egypt. The Egyptians obtained their Frankincense oil from the Phoenicians at great expense due to its highly regarded value.
The story has been told that this was the favorite fragrance of The Egyptian Queen Hatshepsut of the 18th Dynasty who has a hieroglyphic inscription on her tombs giving reference to Frankincense.
The Extraction process
Frankincense Essential Oil is steam distilled from the sap of the Boswellia sacra tree. The dried sap, often referred to as “Crystal Tears” or “Liquid Pearls”. CO2 extraction is also used. CO2 extraction produces much higher yields but is counteracted by a much higher price.
Uses for frankincense oil
Frankincense essential oil uses are many. As always seek advice from a local qualified practitioner before using in any internal application.
- Frankincense oil is soothing and calming and is used as a relaxant. It has long been used to ease the symptoms associated with Anxiety.
- Skin – There are many benefits of Frankincense oil on the skin. It is recognized as a rejuvenator of aging skin. It is ideal as an overall skin tonic and may aid the healing of cuts, wounds and sores.
- Respiratory tract – Frankincense Essential Oil can assist in clearing the lungs and may help with shortness of breath, asthma, bronchitis, laryngitis, coughs and colds and flu.
- Urinary tract – Some evidence shows Frankincense may have positive healing and preventative measures for the Urinary tract.
- Frankincense Essential Oil is also used to assist in the problems associated with Rheumatism and Arthritis.
In summary, uses for frankincense oil have been for centuries and has long been regarded as a Powerful Essential Oil. Hopefully this brief article and introduction opens up the power of what is frankincense Essential Oil.
Essential oils have many benefits and can aid in the prevention or healing of many complaints. Every individual is different. Some essential oils can be toxic. Some oils must never be ingested while others require limited exposure to the sun due to photo-toxicity. Read the label and ask your supplier if you are in doubt of the safest use for any particular oil. Not just the one in this article.
For more information on what is frankincense and Frankincense essential oil uses – Click here or put your name and email address in the form on the top right hand side of this page and we will get back to you asap…..